Arusha National Park is a stunning and diverse national park located in northern Tanzania, near the city of Arusha. It is one of the closest national parks to Arusha, making it easily accessible for visitors. It is one of the smaller national parks in Tanzania but offers a wide range of natural beauty and wildlife experiences which make it perfect for a day trip to Arusha National Park.
Location of Arusha National Park
From Arusha city, you can reach the park by taking a relatively short drive. It’s roughly 40 kilometers (25 miles) from Arusha to the park entrance, also If you are arriving by air, the nearest international airport is Kilimanjaro International Airport (JRO), which is approximately an hour’s drive from Arusha National Park. The park has multiple gates, with the main gate being the Ngongongare Gate. Most visitors enter the park through this gate.
What to Expect on This Day Trip
- Early Morning Departure: Safaris typically start early in the morning to take advantage of the cooler temperatures and higher chances of spotting wildlife. Your tour operator or guide will pick you up from your accommodation in Arusha or a nearby town.
- Game Drive: The primary activity in Arusha National Park is a game drive. You’ll explore the park in a 4×4 vehicle with an experienced guide who knows the best spots for wildlife viewing. The park is known for its diverse wildlife, including giraffes, zebras, buffalos, and a variety of antelope species. The park is also home to a wide range of birds of 400 species, making it a birdwatcher’s paradise.
- Scenic Landscapes: Arusha National Park is renowned for its picturesque landscapes. You’ll have the opportunity to see the striking Mt. Meru, the second-highest mountain in Tanzania after Mt. Kilimanjaro. You may also visit the Momella Lakes, which are alkaline lakes that attract flocks of flamingos and other water birds.
- Birdwatching: Arusha National Park is a paradise for bird enthusiasts. The park is home to over 400 bird species, including flamingos, Hadada ibis, and various birds of prey. The Momella Lakes within the park are particularly renowned for birdwatching.
- Walking Safari: Some tours offer a guided walking safari in Arusha National Park. This allows you to get out of the vehicle and experience the park on foot, accompanied by an armed ranger. Walking safaris provide a different perspective and a closer connection to the natural surroundings.
- Cultural Experiences: Depending on your interests and the tour package, you may have the opportunity to visit nearby Maasai villages or cultural centers to learn about the Masai Tribe and their way of life.
Detailed Day Trip to Arusha National Park Itinerary
Around 07.30 hrs to 08.00 hrs in the morning, you will be picked up from your hotel/pick-up point and drive a short distance to Arusha National Park for an early morning game viewing. The park is dominated by Mount Meru, Africa’s fifth-highest mountain, 4,565m. There is a good range of animal species represented; you can expect to see hippos, giraffes, zebras, warthogs, waterbucks, and bushbucks, although more interesting sightings such as reedbucks, leopards, and hyenas are much more occasional. They are also quite alkaline and therefore provide a year-round breeding area for flamingoes. More than 400 bird species are found in Arusha National Park like flamingos, Secretary birds, kingfishers, bee-eaters, and Hadada-ebies. Lunch will be at the shores of the Momella Lakes with beautiful sights of flamingo flocks and views of the majestic Mt. Kilimanjaro on clear days.
Options Activities to Add on Day Trip to Arusha National Park
- Walking Safari
- Day Hiking in Mt Meru
- Maasai Visit (in the Area of Arusha)
- Visiting nearby areas & waterfalls
- Local Coffee Tours
Private Day Trip to Arusha National Park Prices
|Number of Travelers||Price Per Person USD (Including VAT)|
|4 to 10 Pax||190|
The Price Include
- Transportation in clean, well-maintained 4wd safari Land Cruise with photographic roof thatch
- Good Packed Lunch
- English Speaking Guide
- Park entry fees
- Guiding feesTransit fees
- Drinking bottled mineral water
The Price does not Include
- Tips to your guide
- Visit the Maasai villages
- Personal travel insurance
- All other items of a personal nature
- Alcoholic beverages
- Soft drinks other than the mineral water